Selected performances on video (1990-2011)
Angel Delgado, Ausencia (Absence). TRANSMUTED Festival, CANTE Centro de las Artes, San Luis Potosi, Mexico (2010). Courtesy of the artist.
Born in Cuba in 1965. Lives and works in Las Vegas, NV. Visual artist including performances in his practice, Angel Delgado centres his work on the issue of individual liberty, or the lack thereof. This focus is the result of having been sent to prison for six months in the early 1990s, for a scandal due to a public performance that he presented in Havana, Cuba. It was in a Cuban prison that Delgado found his main technical and instrumental resources, developing a kind of artwork closely linked to the living conditions in jail, including soap sculptures and paintings of religious images on fabric. His work consequently is based on the limitations, restrictions, prohibitions, controls and other losses of freedom that are constantly imposed on the human being within society. At the moment his interest is to take personal experiences towards a collective experience, speaking about the imprisoned condition that the collective psyche suffers as it confines the individual.
The VENICE INTERNATIONAL PERFORMANCE ART WEEK 2014 shows a video of selected performances by Delgado realized between 1990 and 2011, including the works:
- La esperanza es lo último que se está perdiendo (1990) El Objeto Esculturado, Centro de Desarrollo de las Artes Visuales, La Habana, Cuba.
- Sin título. (1242900) (1996) Espacio Aglutinador, La Habana, Cuba.
- Señales de adentro (1999/2002) Centro de Desarrollo de las Artes Visuales, La Habana, Cuba (1999). Jonathan Ferrara Gallery, New Orleans, USA (2002).
- Dolencia propia (I) (1999) Segundo Festival de Performance Ana Mendieta, Pabellón Cuba, La Habana, Cuba.
- Desgaste (2001) Segunda Jornada de Performance de Cienfuegos, Cuba.
- Gotas como días (2002) La Huella Múltiple, Centro de Desarrollo de las Artes Visuales, La Habana, Cuba.
- Espacio Restringido (2004) Festival de performance, Puente Sur, Mayabeque, La Habana, Cuba.
- Ausencia (2010) TRANSMUTED Festival Internacional de Performance, Centro de las Artes, San Luis Potosí, México.
- Llevado al Límite (of the series Cuerpo-Objeto-Obra) (2010) Festival Sinergiarte, San Pancho, Mexico.
- Afuera también (2011) Galería Omar Alonso, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
- Digerir la Noticia (2011) Ahora o Nunca, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.